Wednesday 30 October 2019

Last day in Whakatane at Te Wananga o Awanuirangi campus...

Sunset at Awanuiarangi, Whakatane campus
Today is our last day in Whakatane and I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity of coming here to have discussions with my PhD supervisor in checking to see if my writing and thinking is on the right track.

I could have had two more days with the other PhD students but because I have so many other commitments that need my attention, I need to return back to Auckland i.e. my job, church commitments, our elder child's senior school prizegiving in which she's receiving awards, our youngest's school athletics day and I'm behind in some art projects etc. and the list goes on.

This time, however, I was able to concentrate fully on the task in front of me with the various aspects of my thesis that needed attention. Having changed my thesis (over the years) from a research-driven study to one with a more indigenous lens and creative focus, it's going to be interesting to see how this one pans out in the end.

Some of the interesting aspects include: being encouraged to leave the poetry and drawings/paintings in my studies that I initially decided to leave out; having discussions with Samoa elders that will inform my writing pieces; having discussions with a group of diaspora Samoans who will provide feedback on my writings before publishing them to a global audience etc.

There are still lots more considerations to make but I am so pleased that it's worked out for me to complete my studies with an indigenous tertiary institution as it positions me for where I would like the studies to take me to and that's in supporting other indigenous writers and academics in their spaces.

And so now looking forward to the road trip back with my DJ daughter, our music playing (mostly Pasifika beats), schnux (snacks on the side) singing our hearts out during our 4 hour non-stop drive, and praying for protection as we drive into the sunset towards Auckland...


No comments:

Post a Comment