Sunday 27 October 2019

Spending time with my dad and the blessing of a legacy...

A blessing to be with my dad outside my birth church
This afternoon, I had the privilege of joining my dad as he lead the afternoon Samoan service with another longtime friend who read the bible verse and he asked if I could say (read) the prayer in the Samoan language.

It's been a significant time for us as this has been the legacy that my dad (with my mum supporting) has left for many families as he was one of a few key persons who founded the Samoan PIC (Pacific Islands Presbyterian church and started the fundraising for the buildings back in 1968.

Next week the Samoan EKLS (Ekalesia - church body) will be 51 years old since it's first inception. Although I do often joke about the very strict rules as a Presbyterian growing up, I also know that I learned many things, one being the ability to be able to discipline myself as a result.

The women also wear hats which is unheard of in many contemporary church congregations with the encouragement of wearing appropriate cultural clothing i.e. a puletasi (for Samoan women) or to wear a top with a long wrapped skirt of complementing material/s.

Afterwards, we had a celebratory lunch and then my dad got to drive around in his new disability scooter which allows him to be more independent as we're aware of being more cautious around him driving now. A real blessing and I thank God for him...






No comments:

Post a Comment