Tuesday 29 October 2019

Studying at Te Wananga o te Awanuiarangi, Whakatane campus - Indigenous studies...

 Currently, in Whakatane a 4-hour drive from Auckland to catch up on some much-needed study and Supervision with my Academic supervisor at the campus of Te Wananga o te Awanuiarangi in Whakatane.

It's been neat so far, as I got to take our middle child on this road trip for a couple of days before she starts her NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement) next year with no days off except for when sick etc. So she was the DJ and navigator (via Google maps) and we got here after a non-stop drive with limited dancing and singing in trying to keep my eyes on the road.

Couldn't help comparing it to a plane ride to Samoa which is a 3 and a half hour plane ride which seems to go very fast for me as I'm catching up on the movies or playing games etc. and it was interesting too as I hadn't realised that you had to pay tolls to go on different roads with one long rode with a speed limit of 110 km! that's the first time that I've been able to drive at that speed legally!

Now settled into do some real work on this nemesis thesis which has been the bane of my existence since thinking about it back in 1989 and then finally starting it in 1997 and still continuing it after many start-stop attempts in different universities and facilities and lots of distractions.

This time, no more excuses and I just have to concentrate and finish it off before I go on early retirement :) Still working in the Indigenous studies/research space in creative writing with a topic regarding ideas around measina a Samoa (treasures of Samoa) from various.

Although in many respects, it informs my creative writing and also the directions that our publishing imprint is going in looking at important indigenous stories that we would like to publish and consider supporting in the near future.

And so the work begins. Better stop blogging because that's yet another distraction...

No comments:

Post a Comment