Thursday 20 August 2020

5000 new 18 year olds eligible to vote...

This year's election has been postponed from 19 September to 17 October. Those few days difference has allowed our eldest the opportunity to vote as her 18th birthdate was a few days after the first election date but how with the revised date she is eligible to vote.

I still remember how excited I was when I was finally eligible to vote as a bonafide adult but it was interesting for me to watch on TV and read about the many who choose not to exercise their right to vote even though they are eligible to.

What non-voters don't realize is that when they do not choose to exercise their vote, then they leave it to the majority to make that choice for them. As a democratic country, it's a real privilege and right to have that choice unlike many countries around the world who fight for democracy in wanting to have that ability of choice.

At this election, not only are we electing our M.P's (Members of Parliament) and ultimately our Prime Minister but we are also voting on two referendum topics of: Euthanasia (the right to end life) and supporting the legalization of Cannabis.

I won't be supporting either in believing in the sanctity of life in my Christian beliefs similar to my stance against the legalization of abortions that was hurriedly passed through when we went on our first lockdown. 

I also won't be supporting the legalization of a drug that is more harmful within our communities although I would be more accepting of medicinal drugs that are helpful for health reasons only. It will be interesting in the outcomes as polling seems to indicate that both topics would be supported by the majority of people.

Whatever the outcome, I will take the time to exercise my right to vote for a party and local MP that I feel both shares similar values and ideals for our society. With the extra 5000 people whose birthdays were positively affected with their right to vote as 18-year-olds, like our eldest, I hope that they will take the time to consider their freedom of choice to vote...



No comments:

Post a Comment