Sunday 23 August 2020

Zoom Wananga weekend classes...

  This weekend has been the third weekend this month that I've been busy with weekend Zoom Wananga (Maori indigenous classes of higher learning) using the digital platform of Zoom that allows students and teachers to share information digitally.

It's been a real privilege to collab-orate with some amazing kaiako (teachers) on some very interesting topics. Last weekend our collaboration effort included kaiako from both Te Wananga o Aotearoa where I work and Te Whare Wananga o Awanuiarangi where I study with some kaiako teaching at both wananga. 

The collab included bringing some 60 - 80+ students from both Wananga and classes from 4 - 6 kaiako together to discuss, consider and learn from each other, guest speakers, video and other interesting information sources.

My particular discussion of choice was a Powerpoint presentation on the topic of Rangahau (Indigenous Maori inquiry) within Whakapapa or genealogy of fostering Intergenerational echoes. There I was able to share my personal journey in working on my families' gafa (Samoan word for genealogy).

It was neat to be able to share some of my experiences with our class and also receive feedback and other information that was added to my own learnings. That's another reason why I like teaching at the Wananga because kaiako or ako means both learning and teaching.

So now I can relax and take a break and catch up on some paperwork and some of the other important things that I need to do during this Alert level 3 lockdown. The rain this weekend has also been neat in discouraging many to go outside and much appreciated whilst I take some R and R i.e. rest and relaxation.


No comments:

Post a Comment