Sunday 22 November 2020

One day Maori & Indigenous arts exhibition...



This weekend has been another full-on weekend with classes, paperwork to mark and a Maori and Indigenous arts exhibition to attend that had some beautiful symbolic pieces on display that had me considering taking up the craft sometime soon in the not too distant future.

Above is one of the exhibits by one of the ladies whom I've known for several years, first as a Social worker student from which she graduated from a few years ago and currently as a weaving artist who's also a crocheter, like me.

She took up weaving as a way of gaining this amazing skill to pass onto her children and down the line which is something that I want to do. And now she has woven some amazing baskets each with a story behind it in relating to the patterns and also the very design.

That's what I like about Maori and Indigenous Arts in that it encourages the artist to look beyond the piece that they are creating and into what the importance or significance of the piece is and what it means to the creator but also to the person who will be receiving the gift.

It's one of those important skills that I think many of our youth and my generation have not been passed the knowledge or skill of how to do it. My mother and her generation were weavers but in not having pandanus readily available nor the knowledge of how to weave many of our generation have not learned this skilled gift.

But better late than never...

No comments:

Post a Comment