Saturday 7 November 2020

Reflecting on students and their lives...

This weekend has been quite relaxing after a heavy last couple of weeks at the Samoan Early childhood Aoga (school) but that's a whole other story.

I slept over at the noho space in our Indigenous Maori Wānanga (place of higher learning) and caught up with quite a few past students whom I'd taught both at high school and at Wānanga level.

The saddest thing was to find out that one of the senior Elders whom I'd taught a couple of years ago had passed away during the COVID-19 period of lockdowns. 

I am so glad that I was able to encourage him to write in one of our community books as he had a military background and had gone on a couple of tours overseas whilst in the NZ army.

I also caught up with some of my students who were now completing or had completed their Master's journey. It's been such a privilege to have had the teaching experience to be able to support them on their journeys. I thank God for being there for them as they have so much to offer as Indigenous principled practitioners in what they have to say and do in their communities and wish them well.

I still can't believe how fast this year has flown past and I'm even looking ahead and forward to Christmas. So the relaxing has begun, even though there is still a lot of paperwork but still not a lot to fret about. 

Except of course for who wins the USA elections...



No comments:

Post a Comment