Thursday 19 September 2019

Fiafia Night at McAuley High school...

Tonight I had the privilege of taking my family, including my dad, to support my sister cousin's daughter (my niece) with their Fiafia night at McAuley High school (Catholic girls school).

The Fiafia night was in aid of the fundraising a trip to travel to Samoa later this month on a cultural exchange or 'So'o' for some 40 students and their parents, teachers and supporters.

Two important Samoan teachers who have been stalwarts for organizing the trip to Samoa and have been teaching Samoan at the school for well over ten years are Tauanu'u Perenise Tapu and his lovely wife, Jenny Tapu.

I remember when I worked for Team Solutions at Auckland Uni in the early 2000s in organizing for teachers to hold workshops for Samoan language teachers to come together for professional development and Mr and Mrs Tapu were instrumental in ensuring that the girls at McAuley were well supported in their Samoan learning programmes towards gaining NCEA credits in Samoan language that could then be taken into Auckland Uni for majoring in their Bachelor degree.

Tauanu'u also received a special honourary Queen's service medal, this year, for his services to education and the Samoan community. I've also known him as my tutor in the bilinguage matai (chief) Samoan language classes that I took some years ago but was unable to continue due to my other commitments but now my beloved takes his classes and also had him as a Master Practioner for his Masters degree exegesis.

A packed hall was testimony to the high calibre of Samoan songs, dances and entertainment. They also performed a Haka (for women) which brought about a lot of celebration as there are some girls in the malaga who are not of Samoan descent but have learnt the songs, dances etc. to perform.

They will be travelling around Samoa and also visiting the district of Falelatai and some villages there, where my father and my matai titles come from and so hoping to catch up with them in Samoa when I hopefully am able to travel to in the next week for a family wedding.

Ia manuia tou malaga, may your travels be blessed...



No comments:

Post a Comment