Sunday 1 September 2019

Happy Fathers' day to our special dads...

Happy Father's day to all our special dad's out there and especially to my very special father who is now in his 80s and currently here with my mum on holiday from Samoa.

And it was very special to have my cousin/sister Lita and her children visit with us at my birth church as we accompanied my parents to church and then went to a shared Fathers' day lunch.

It was also a very special day as I became an elder of the church and it was my gift for my dad as it was something that has been very dear to his heart for a long time.

In fact, over 16 mature elders are no longer able to continue with serving as in their old age things are becoming more difficult for them and most of them, like my father, have been faithfully serving within the church for many years. So the question was asked for others to come forward and I was approached to consider in having supported my father over the years. It definitely wasn't an easy decision as my family has other considerations but for now, I believe that it is the right thing to do.

And in the service, I couldn't stop the tears in realising the many years of service that he has given to the church i.e. over 50+ years and still going strong as he was one of the founding father of the church when it was just a dream and now there is a church for Cook Islanders, Niueans and Samoans with a church and 3 halls.

My father has always had a very good work ethic and taught me about organizing, public speaking and to not be afraid of anything. He even believed in me even when I wasn't so sure myself. It didn't mean that we didn't have our differences but I learned to be respectful and talk through a lot of things with him that now we share a very special bond.

 From my father, he taught me to be considerate and never doubted my abilities in whatever I wanted to pursue and it's been neat to see them settle into their new home in Samoa which was a gift from above. So a very happy fathers' day to you all and I thank God for the blessing of good fathers...

No comments:

Post a Comment