Friday 5 January 2024

Measina alignment in thesis with conservation agencies in Samoa...

This pic is taken at the ocean rockwall at Apia where I was lounging with my family under the Tamaligi tree with its beautiful red/orange flowers. My mom gave me the Samoan name and will later check up on the English name and whether it's a native. It's quite an iconic tree here and features in many villages very similar to NZ's Xmas tree which is the pohutukawa tree.

I also went to join the Samoa Conservation Society at the Maritime NUS (National University of Samoa) campus but told it was closed until Monday whilst on holiday so I'll be back to check it out as I see that they've been doing some very good work in supporting environmental and cultural conversation of much of Samoa's measina which is just down my thesis alley.

I'm also looking at various groups, individuals and NGO (non-government organizations) to align my thesis to, to acknowledge the good work that is already out there in the various committee efforts in conserving the natural and cultural environment. As in my thesis, I've seen that much has already been lost and such organisations play and important role in trying to stem the tide and share in the awareness of what can be done to curb such events.

Yes, although holidaying in Samoa, there's still a lot of work to do in my thesis but also in looking after our communal property. It's been good to have my elder brother, George, and his wife over to support in the maintenance of my late dad's dream. I now say that it's about keeping his vision alive for future generations and my generation being guardians over the land for safekeeping in our village of Fasito'o-uta. Same conservation ideas on a smaller scale in my family...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment