Friday 23 February 2024

Recruiting for Tikanga level 4 Fees free course for 2024...

 

It's that time of year again with recruiting for my Tikanga (level 4) class which is a 36 weeks (one academic year) class.

Over the past few years, there has been a growing interest in learning more about tikanga (Māori protocols and traditions) and how it affects our daily lives.

Since taking the courses from Tikanga level 4 - 6, I've found from personal experience that it gave me more confidence and understanding of my own fa'aSamoa practices as a female matai (of chiefly status).

It helped me in the considerations that I had to take into account for my late father's funeral and memorial stone (one year commemoration) both in NZ and in 
Samoa. As I was the most engaged in my parents' lives both in NZ and Samoa, of all my siblings and a matai of over 20 years, I took it as a privilege to be able to support them in fulfilling their dreams of a second home in Samoa and in whatever they needed.

In fact, one of my greatest fears, growing up, was not being able to do justice for my parents' and especially my father's tribute. My studies in the course gave me the confidence to think through the protocols and traditions, especially in Samoa, and how to mitigate all the various pathways.

In this course that I teach, we look at life protocols and traditions from a te ao Māori (Māori worldview) lens and then for each individual student the question is asked about how that translates into your own lifestyle.

I'd highly recommend it for any who are wanting to explore their cultural identities and learn more about protocols and traditions in our post-modern lifestyles through a Māori lens i.e. I've had Pasifika, Fijian Indian, Indian, Kurdish, urban Māori, European etc. join my class to not only learn about Māori worldviews but also about their own experiences and others within the class.

I've found it to be an amazing but also challenging experience in delving in deep to understand cultural paradigms, why they exist and how the might be helpful going forward. If any are interested in enrolling into the class please DM (direct message) me or email through: helen.tauau-filisi@twoa.ac.nz and all the best for the new year ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment