Tuesday 25 August 2015

"Maui and Sina" in Auckland libraries! Coming to you soon...

Image result for auckland libraries
Last week, I got an amazing letter that I had been waiting for 20+ years to receive and it was a letter from a company who buys books on behalf of Auckland libraries that they wanted to purchase copies of "Maui and Sina" to be placed in Auckland libraries.

I could not contain myself, firstly because I wasn't sure about public interest in the plays as plays often don't get much publicity and secondly as I'd written them 20 years ago as a high school teacher with a specifically South Auckland flavour for Pasifika/Maori audiences and I wasn't sure if people would be interested in the context/content.

Boy was I wrong, and I also received my first school bulk order having spoken to one of my dear friends who made it all happen years ago. And then to meet one of my ex-students who's now a Head of department of a South Auckland school and wants to stage the production next year as their school production.

Oh my goodness! so many things to celebrate. In fact, it was so funny because in receiving the letter and then the news about having the play staged next year, all happened on the same day and quite took me by surprise that I went to celebrate (whilst still at work) by looking to buy a giant afghan but there weren't any left.

Instead, I had a treat with my family and just enjoyed the moment. And I hope that this is just the beginning as there is definitely more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment