Monday 31 August 2015

Author Book Readings in South Auckland and Hawaii?

Displaying Picture 1.jpg It's been such a busy year and have been very thankful in the opportunities that I've been given to share the stories that were passed on to me with the next generations in schools.

This pic was at a South Auckland school that recently invited me to read with the junior and senior students in fact I found that one of the teachers was an old friend of mine that I had had at church in my teens and we had lost contact as she'd moved to Australia.

It was also neat to see that I'm able to do something that I remember wishing I could do as a teacher as I remember only one author/poet who visited as Ruperake Petaia (Samoan poet) in having come across his poetry as an undergraduate. I understand that he's now a minister and was one of the judges for the Samoan short story competition recently.

I must say that having a secondary teaching background has been an advantage and watching how students behave in various settings reminds me of my days of being a Dean, a teacher manager of the library, a playwright and high school production director etc. Never a dull moment but also one that I'll treasure but can never go back to in now having a family of my own.

Am looking forward to visiting Hawaii with my daughter's school group at the end of the year and maybe reading and sharing the stories there. It's been a while since I've visited Oahu and so hoping to travel along and make memories as we go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment