Tuesday 4 August 2015

Post book launch: Author Interview Q & A

Have been so busy since the book launch that almost forgot to write up a post. Had a wonderful day with some students from Mangere College who volunteered to play act out scenes. It was nicely hosted by Mangere Town Centre library manager and staff and they set out a wonderful scene for me to display my books and resources.

We also had our resident Life South Pastor Neal bless the books and then had some time for students to ask a few questions (posed by the library) that I answered as follows:

Q. Tell us a little bit about your childhood, teen years - what kind of kid were you? where did you grow up? what did you want to be growing up?

A. I was brought up in Mangere and went to Nga Tapuwae College which is now Southern Cross campus. I was one of the shy kids who never liked to answer questions in class but I loved art and writing. I really wanted to go to the States (USA) when I was younger thinking that it was the best place to be. I was wrong especially when visiting East L.A. when I was 18 years, I thought Mangere was hard case but you had to be more careful there. In growing up I wanted to be an art director or something to do with art. Now my wish has come true! in writing and designing a book.

Q. What made you want to write a play about mythical figures?

A. It was when I went to do my first Masters fieldwork in Samoa and I realised that there were a lot of ancient Samoan stories that weren't being passed on and then upon becoming an English teacher at a South Auckland high school I went and viewed another colleague's production at another South Auckland high school and was so upset that they were enacting a European fairy tale story that it kick-started my writing to produce an authentic Maori/Pasifika play for students and the community. It was an instant hit.

In fact, it was a "God moment" when the visiting teacher of the class spoke about being a youngster at the time and he had viewed all 3 plays of the triology that I had produced between 1994 - 1996. Amazing! it was like I was having a 'God conversation' in that I had framed up a few photos of the production and when the teacher saw the photos, he instantly remembered that he had watched the plays and that it had been authentic with Pasifika songs and dances, costumes and people. Now that was such a blessing to witness.

We then finished with a piece of cake, drink and with a big thanks from my M.C. husband, Fritz, we ended the day with a prayer and appreciation to all who had attended. Later that evening we went to celebrate with Yum Char and the night markets with my family. All in a days work...

No comments:

Post a Comment