Thursday 31 March 2016

1st book launch of the year "Su'e the lost son"...


Announcing our 1st book launch of the year next Friday at Tupu (youth) library. It is the third book in our play series called "Su'e the lost son". It was written and dedicated to the students of Tangaroa College when I taught there as an English teacher between 1991 - 1997. It was also dedicated to my family and the Otara community as I called it my second home at the time.

As in the synopsis, the play is about:
"Su'e and Tui are twins but that is where their similarities end. Su'e wants to be someone and break all the rules but Tui is responsible and more interested in helping a local street gang turn into a choir to win prize money for charity.
Their mother, Malia, recalls her grandfather's ancient Samoan stories of the Tui brothers, Sina and the evil Sauali'i.
A battle between Granpa and Sauali'i is declared over Su'e but there can only be one winner. Who will be left standing?"

The play also features a fagogo (ancient Samoan mythological story) of brothers that my mother told me and that I had read in a Samoan mythology book many years ago. The play itself had some amazing actors and La'au/Styx was one of them, hence the big reveal of the cover on the day.

Looking forward to this launch at Tupu library as it is down the road from the high school that I used to dream in about publishing my stories and now it is finally coming true...

No comments:

Post a Comment