Thursday 22 December 2016

Exhibitions, graduations and very busy lead up to Christmas...

It's been a very eventful month leading up to Christmas in attending a couple of graduations of our youngest (from pre-school programmes), end of break ups for my class, work and other groups that I'm associated with and was also able to squeeze in a book launch at my old primary school's 50th Jubilee celebrations (10th publication) and also made time to view a couple of art exhibitions: one at Auckland Art Gallery and another by a local artist and writer ZR Southcombe.

In fact, her story inspired me to start self publishing when my business mentor, at the time on, Jan 23, 2015 (my lil' sister's birthday) shared her story with me about being a teacher who was self publishing her own books. Up until that time, I had only thought about it but after that conversation, I realised that it was definitely possible to make it happen and the rest is history (herstory).

What's so amazing about Zee is that she is so versatile as an artist, writer and a authorpeneur (a new word I learnt in reading different blogs). She writes childrens/young adult books, zines (simplified versions of magazines), designs colouring books, and colouring events, is on the committee/s for writers and different community arts projects and even has time to host her first solo art exhibition which I really enjoyed and took my children to view. I think they really enjoyed the treats of cute cupcakes and a neat palette with iced colours (simply creative) and baked by her mum which was really neat!

Above is a pic of one of my favourite paintings featured at her exhibition called "Broken Beautiful" earlier this month at Youthline, Papatoetoe. As my favourite colour is indigo blue, the colour palette that she chose for some of her paintings really appealed to me and happily bought some of her Christmas cards reproductions! which I am sure you are able to view on her website of www.zrsouthcombe.com as well as to view some of her many wonderfully creative creations.

I, unfortunately, was unable to stay for the book launch of her latest book "I am an artist" which is a great resource for art teachers and bidding artists as I had another family function to attend to. As a fellow self-published writer/artist I'm privileged to be asked to work with her on a project which is always so encouraging and inspiring to do. Looking forward to what the new year has in store...



No comments:

Post a Comment