Monday 27 March 2017

Auckland Council Demographic Advisory Panel - Pacific Peoples...

Image result for auckland council pacific peoples advisory panel Earlier this year, I put my name forward to be nominated on the Mangere - Otahuhu community board, however, I was unsuccessful and it was a big learning curve for me in terms of local community politics. Not sure that I'd do it again but it was an eye-opener.

A few months later, when I was out and about with my class on researching Indigenous topics at the South Auckland research library, I came upon an advertisement advertising for local community representation on the Auckland council demographic advisory panel and in particular the Pacific peoples panel.

I put in my application but wasn't too sure about it. The funny thing was going to the interview in town and thinking that I remembered where in Town but I had gotten the number wrong and went to 35 Albert Street instead of 135 but then remembered to check my data and got there just in time for the interview as I'd left early and although a little flustered at having to run around. It was all good.

At the interview, some very pertinent questions were asked where I went blank and could have kicked myself as I remembered the answers later. I was told that there were originally 60 applicants that were shortlisted to 12 and then only 8 would be accepted for the positions. I thought that I was probably one of the 4 left behind as I hadn't answered as best as I had in other interviews.

Happily I will be accepting the appointment as I received word today that I was one of the successful applicants. It is a 3 year tenure, to 2019, and I must admit that I have purposely not sort to go on boards such as these as I've always wanted to support local schools and local initiatives but now it's about sharing some of the experiences that I've been blessed with in larger forums but also keeping balanced in being open to learn along the way.

For me, again it's about advocating for Maori and Pasifika perspectives and peoples, and having studied demographics for Geography back in my Uni days, it's about time I started putting some of that knowledge and experience to the test and supporting our local communities at a wider scale.

It was also be good to support the work of councillors Efeso Collins (a student at the high school that I taught at when I first started teaching) and Alf Filipino, a councillor of some 14 years. Our inaugural induction will be at the Auckland Town Hall next month, where I had graduated from, back in the day and watched classical music concerts and it will be another big learning curve for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment