Sunday 5 March 2017

Metro article 1983...

A pic of me featured in a Metro magazine article, 1983
In visiting Auckland City library I mentioned (last blog) remembering that whilst I was on the second floor looking through the Research centre, that I was reminded that I had not kept a copy of an article written in a magazine that highlighted problems within my high school at the time and that had featured a photo of me.

At the time, my high school was toted as the first multicultural school in the country which was opened in 1976, and by 1983, I had already spent five years at the school. The "experiment" I guess was around the fact that it was a newer suburb in those days and many immigrant families were moving into the area (although we had already been there some 17 years) and the school, at the time, was a space open to new migrant youth of the families.

At the time, glue sniffing and other solvents was a big problem as there weren't many amenities available for youth in the area. But the new pools opened later in that year with a gym which was to assist with sports but it didn't really.

In my final year at high school, I remember wanting to follow my sister's footsteps to Uni. She was a year ahead and was interested in studying law. That particular photo of me was taken in the library whilst I was busy studying which wasn't the norm for a lot of students at the time as I remember always frequenting the library to get extra work done in trying to finish assignments etc.

The cameraman and reporter must have thought it quite interesting that amongst all the controversy over the school, at the time, that here was a studious senior who didn't much care about what was going on around but was busy studying towards goals and dreams.

I shared this pic with my students yesterday and laughed with them that here I am still after 30+ years still studying but now on an overdue Doctoral thesis that I should have finished years ago. It's a reminder of a young woman who had goals and dreams and didn't let the things around her deter her from seeking success for the future. For that, I will always commend her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment