Sunday 19 March 2017

David Tua Infamous Samoan boxer...

Image result for david tua
David Tua - Samoan boxer and motivational speaker
It was neat to see David Tua yesterday whilst out shopping for a birthday gift for my little one. (Forgot to ask for a shot together as don't take my mobile phone around with me). It was neat to briefly catch up in that so much has happened in both our lives as I first remember my dad being interested in David when he first started making a name in boxing, as my dad had been a boxer (interested) back in his day, and as David's parents went to the same church that we did, my dad asked me to accompany him to the airport so that he could be of prayer support to David when he first went overseas and that's when I first met him.

I also remember when his first manager, Lou Duva, after he turned pro, came to the church with an entourage of spar partners etc. and announced to the congregation from the pulpit that he was going to take "our boy" to the top and he wasn't joking as we witnessed David going from strength to strength. It was only earlier this month that I learnt that his mentor died at 94 after being hailed in the US Hall of Fame for his time as a manager in the 1980s - 1990s.

As far as I'm aware, he was the first Samoan boxer who paved the way and made it big for Samoan/NZ boxing. Up until then it was only the US boxers and European boxers who had made it big. I remember I had a boxing mad teacher in Intermediate school (Middle school) who took our class to the city so that we could watch the first "Rocky" movie when it first came out and somehow got a black and white portable TV into the class so that he and other teachers and boys could watch the Mohammed Ali fight back in 1977.

Even my dad is a die-hard Rugby and Boxing fanatic and he watched very closely as many Samoans did as David made his way right up to fighting for the Heavy Weight championship belt of the world and just fell short. Still he kept alive the dreams and goals of many that a small nation of NZ and an even smaller nation of Samoa could bring such a dream to fruition.

As with every amazing climb there were times of hardship and when reading in the paper that his trainer/manager who is now Joseph Parker's,current WBO heavyweight champion, trainer/manager, ended up in court, I couldn't help but feel for him in being short changed out of what should have set him up for life.

I'll never forget how David, upon my invitation, came to the high school that I was teaching at and inspired the pupils through an inspirational speech and in giving away pics of himself and it was so neat that the students could identify with his journey back then and I will always be grateful to him for that. I also understand that he is still working with youth and even was in Samoa sharing his testimony as a Christian and is happily married to Helen (an amazing name!) ha ha whom he is blessed with.

All the best David and look forward to what the future holds for you and your family. Looking forward to reading that book, or watching that movie trailer as I think God hasn't finished with you yet and has a special story to share of your experiences being an inspiration for others to learn from. Ia manuia...

No comments:

Post a Comment