Monday 5 June 2017

Exhibition workshops with over 300 local students...

Install day of Pacific Hibiscus exhibition. Photo credits: King Kapisi 
This Queen's Birthday weekend, I've recovered and am so overwhelmed by the support of many people who helped to make last week's 'Pacific Hibiscus' exhibition with workshops for local schools a neat success in celebrating Samoan language week at Mangere Arts Centre.

I saw over 300 local students in 10 workshops with teachers and parents with some of whom it was their first time into the Mangere Arts centre facility. It was a privilege for me to share some of my stories, the 'Tanikoniko' Maori art exhibition in acknowledging the special place and relationship that we have with TangataWhenua (people of the land) and in workshops discussing dreams and Samoan ideas through creating zines or colouring the characters of the ancient Samoan stories.

I'd like to acknowledge my God for blessing me with such a wonderful experience, my parents who flew in from Samoa for birthdays and who attended this special occasion, my beloved Tofilau Fritz who helped out with the workshop especially as it was his birthday break but still took time out to support the cause; my wonderful family and friends who were at the launch or who couldn't but have supported me along the way. Faafetai tele - Many thanks.

I also want to thank Anna who is the Exhibitions manager and her team at Mangere Arts centre, Sally the Mangere Otara arts broker, Lydia and her team of board members of the local Mangere Otahuhu board and Alf, local Auckland councillor who all supported the exhibition. I even got to meet King Kapisi who took this photo and who shared some of his digital media experience knowledge with me. Faafetai tele mo le faasoa (thanks for sharing).

A big thanks goes to Laura from the Samoan business network of whom gave me a space at the mini-expo to display my books etc. at the local town centre which gave locals a chance to meet with me and I had some interesting discussions with many about publishing, writing and on a variety of subjects.

A truly humbling experience and one that I won't forget for a long time...

No comments:

Post a Comment