Friday 9 June 2017

Wonder Woman brief review...

On Queen's birthday weekend, I went on a girl's night out movie watch and we viewed "Wonder Woman". As a kid I enjoyed watching the TV series during the 1970s with Lynda Carter as the main character and I remember always thinking that compared to her male counterparts i.e. super heroes that she never really hurt the antagonists much and that she was very beautiful (by Western standards).

Her costume changed a little over time and she had the belt of truth and would swing around to change her clothing into her costume. She also had a crush on her partner and I remember first watching it on a black and white TV which later changed to colour so my expectations were quite high when we went to watch it.

And I wasn't disappointed. Some 30 - 40 years later, it's okay for women to kickass big time and to even beat up so many guys that it makes the bad guys look like girls (ha ha) although they did have to make her into a god to be able to explain how she was no normal woman.

There were some neat elements to the story especially the beginning explaining her Amazonian background. I didn't think her meeting with her naked co-star at the beginning being very necessary to the story and then it did seem over the top a the end of the movie but I did like the way they tried to explain the war to her and also how she couldn't understand why women dressed in such restrictive clothing.

When I reflect on how the role of women has changed drastically over a few decades of my lifetime, that now there is more freedom for women to pursue their dreams and goals, and that women are now able to take on roles that were traditionally only for men. I still think that women have been given a gift to be able to bring life into this world in our role as mothers, for those who wish to and nurturers for those who want to.

Wonder Woman, the movie, reminded me that no matter what happens or who's in charge that at the end of the day, it's the act of love and loving that conquers all that the greatest act of love is to sacrifice your life for another/others and I think that that was one of the neat themes of the movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment