Thursday 14 September 2017

Reprints now available for the "tala o le vavau" series...


The Reprints have arrived and SAAB Sei Oriana Samoan bookstore has been re-stocked with more copies our "Tala o le vavau" series or Ancient Samoan stories of:

  1. Sina and the Tuna (eel)
  2. Mount Vaea and the tears of Apa'ula
  3. Tagaloalagi and Fue
  4. The footprint of Moso
  5. Fale Samoa
These stories are so special to me in that apart from the story of Sina and the Tuna, the other stories were unknown to me until I went back to Samoa for my first Masters degree research in Falealupo, the land of my forefathers/mothers and it was there that I re-learnt the stories initially from the late A'eau Taulupo'o Lafaiali'i from Falealupo to whom I will be eternally grateful to, with more stories to come.

It's sad in that many of our younger Samoans know about the stories of the Disney Princesses and other English fairy tales but it is my mission as well as others to retell these important ancient stories to revitalise the environmental ideas and cultural/moral ideas that were passed down from generation to generation.

I'm looking forward to researching upcoming books but also being mindful of family commitments and making sure that my children are looked after well before taking off on business ventures, even if it's in the mind. That's because two of my children are getting ready for Samoan white Sunday or "Lotu Tamaiti" for another year.

So now, so glad to have been able to complete that mini project. The next project is working on a colouring book featuring the "tala o le vavau" paintings that I presented at the 'Pacific Hibiscus' exhibition earlier in the year that proved popular with primary schooled children. Life is never dull nor boring for an author...

No comments:

Post a Comment