Friday 22 September 2017

Voting in NZ 2017...

Image result for vote nz 2017It's the only place where it doesn't matter what your nationality is, the amount of $ in the bank, educational qual's or the lack of, where you live, what you drive (or don't drive), where you holiday or don't... everyone is supposed to be equal when it comes to voting on the day. It's the voting outcome that doesn't always equal who you voted for.

Tomorrow is the last day of voting and I've saved my vote to the last day of polling as I have traditionally done since I first started voting. The interesting thing about this phenomenon is that everyone has their own idea of who they are voting for and why.

Traditionally, I used to vote for the larger parties when it was first past the post i.e. only one vote but now with MMP where you get 2 votes i.e. one for the political party and the other for the local M.P. I now exercise my vote by seeing which party and persona matches my values and beliefs and neither of the two major parties fits the bill.

Suffice to say that I vote with my conscience and not for personalities and try to be aware of the issues at stake and what is in the forefront of what party political spinners say. I've also found the resource by Family First to be very informative about what each of the major and minor parties stand for in terms of values related to the family and society as a whole.

Tomorrow, it will be interesting to note if we are waking up to a new government (much as USA did last year) or will it be more of the same if the current government continues to remain. I think every 3 terms people get sick and tired of the same rhetoric and want to change government only to find that the next new party can come in with it's own agendas.

So when I vote tomorrow it will be through being well informed, equal to everyone elses and as a NZ citizen by birth...

No comments:

Post a Comment