Monday 9 October 2017

Annual White Sunday celebrations...

White Sunday (Lotu Tamaiti) celebrations at PIC Mangere
 Yesterday, my family celebrated the annual White Sunday or Lotu Tamaiti (Children's church) which has been an annual occurrence at my birth church since I was young. It is celebrated on the second Sunday of October and I was told it was a historical event birthed by the LMS London Missionary Society or similar churches in Samoa in the early days.

I remember, for our church in the 1970s, my father telling us to learn Psalm 1 in the Samoan language and then my elder sister, younger brother and I recited it in church as a commemoration of White Sunday that occurred in Samoa and the elders thought it was a good idea that it became an annual event at the church to what it is today.

In fact, it was something that my parents told me was bigger than Christmas growing up where each child was given a new set of white clothing, shoes and a big meal as this didn't often happen in Samoa for families with not a lot of money.

I continued well into my 30s participating in singing the songs, learning the bible verses, conducting the choir one year and another year I remembered playing Jesus when one of the ladies thought it would be a good idea if I went topless and let my long hair cover my breasts. I was thankful when that idea was thwarted and I wore a white top instead (or was that for the Easter play :).

Since my children were about able to stand at around 1 - 2 years old to the teen years, I've encouraged them to attend the practices and to learn either bible verses or play (skit) lines given to them by the teacher of their particular age group in the Samoan language.

For some, it's a mission in trying to learn the pronunciation especially if they are not well versed in the Samoan language but at the end when there is a big combined feast in the hall for both those who participated and those who attended, it's a blessing to share in festivities and an historical event that still continues to be celebrated today...



No comments:

Post a Comment