Wednesday 4 October 2017

'Ei' making at the new MIT Pasifika Education centre...

 A couple of days ago, I went with my youngest (loves going everywhere with her mum) to check out the new MIT Pasifika community centre at MIT. When I worked on a short contract for MIT many years ago, there wasn't such a Pasifika centre although it was situated in the heart of Otara, a highly Pasifika populated area. Now very neat to see this having opened last year and in being recognised within a mainstream education institution which probably has it's pros and cons.

The reason I'd gone was to attend the Cook Islands 'ei' (flowers garland headband) making session at the centre as when I go to writers festivals/conventions etc. I'm usually the only Pasifika writer and making my own makes sense to incorporate my love of colour, creativity, hibiscus and tropical flowers and in having been a wedding flowers stylist many, many years ago (sold flowers for over 200 weddings) throughout NZ but again, that's another story.

What was neat about going to the workshop was that there were many Cooks Islands women and a couple of men from Aitutaki, Manihiki, Penrith, Pukapuka, Rarotonga etc. who wanted to learn the technique and there were also others, like myself from other cultures eg. there were European, Asian etc. women who attended as well which made for a big large workshop of up to 30+ of us.

So now I've started looking at different colour arrangements, styles and flowers and am absolutely loving it and will be posting some pics online. Can't wait to see how it all turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment