Monday 23 October 2017

'Hagar' helping fight modern day human trafficking and slavery...

Image may contain: one or more people and text Yesterday, at church, I went to write down my name to volunteer in the 'Creative' team as I've been so busy doing other things that I knew that it was time to support my local church with the giftings that I'd been given i.e. "don't put your light under a bowl" so to speak.

So I went along and got a cup of tea, muffin and a neat welcome from the team at Life church and waited for the talk to happen. Anyway, so as I was waiting, a lady started up a conversation with me and I spoke about being a 'creative' and discussed my creative life story in a short 5 min intro. That's when she told me about the organisation "Hagar" that she works with.

Hagar is an organisation who are about helping give support to people (mainly women and children) who have suffered extreme human rights abuse, often through sexual abuse (putting it very mildly) and have been a part of modern day slavery which I have learnt is worse than it has ever been in history which is so shocking in our so called modern day civilisation.

I shared with her that I had heard about her organisation over the weekend in listening to a Radio Rhema interview an artist who was having an exhibition that supported the cause of bringing awareness to these human rights issues. She promptly invited me to have a look and I hope to have coffee (although I don't drink coffee anymore) with her to discuss my support.

As a woman and a Christian, I have always had a heart for those who are the 'underdog' so to speak and to hear about the atrocities that some of the women and children have faced and lived through at the hands of other humans is heartbreaking. And as an artist, I would like to give my artistic support to a cause that gives 'life' back to others. Looking forward to what the partnership will bring about.

You can check out their website on: http://www.hagar.org.nz or Facebook page called Hagar New Zealand to lend a helping hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment