Thursday 5 September 2019

Malu ink and watercolour study...

Malu: pencil/ink and watercolour study (HFT 2019)
I'm currently loving this space to be able to study the malu patterns and meanings as with this first pencil/ink drawing and then replicating in watercolours.

Each icon that has been indelibly etched on skin from time immemorial and each tell a story about the harmonious relationships that faaSamoa through the tufuga tatau (master tattoo artists) had with the natural environment.

So much so, that in my earlier research I found out that our earlier ancestors venerated various natural creatures etc. and so that when the early missionaries came to Samoa they were surprised that there weren't any carvings like there were for many other Pacific Islands cultures. And now the only little known altar space of that time is known as the 'House of the Fee' or o le fale o le fee.

In fact, in many villages, the pe'a, malu, malofie etc. were banned by the missionaries or in the very least frowned upon. I know that I was told by my mother that my great grandmother banned her sons from having this and in honour of keeping her wish, I won't be getting a malu except for the one that already exists on my hand that wasn't done by a traditional tufuga or in Samoa, in keeping with her wishes (retrospectively).

Still, in learning to understand the intent of each icon, it gives me a better understanding and a way of regenerating the ideas for the next generation and lifting the tapu (taboo) in this age in a respective manner that understands the mana (supernatural prestige) of this time honouring artistic appreciation on skin and still giving reverence to our ancestors whose stories continue through to this day...



No comments:

Post a Comment