Friday 27 September 2019

Off the grid in Samoa...

It's been a neat couple of days being off the grid in Samoa. Relaxing with my parents and picking up family from the airport with various family members coming to Samoa for a school malaga (travel visit) and also for the weekend wedding.

It's also been neat to catch up with one of my  cuzzie/bro's that I was brought up with as like a lil' bro to me and his son's first visit with a quick tour from Fasitoo-uta to Apia and over to where the wedding venue is to take place at the Orator Hotel.

Feel really blessed to be able travel to this wedding for my niece (second cousin) in remembrance of her late grandmother (my mum's sister) who was one of my favourite aunties growing up. She would have been proud to see her grand daughter married and we're here in Samoa to represent her at this special wedding.

While here, I took them to Mulinu'u to see the new Parliament building, although I liked the older one as it was in remembrance of the first parliament that sat during the formative years in recognition of the Independence of Samoa in 1962 and many of the landmarks around the town. There is just so much to share about Samoa's colonial history and buildings.

In fact, it was neat to share with them about the history of our heritage culture of Samoa and the many changes that have taken place over the years. So that whilst some of our cousins and family are enjoying the Island resorts life, it's been neat to take them to the village and to see what happens there and how things can be so different yet still similar to NZ and western culture.

Looking forward to what the next few days hold before jetting back to responsibilities from this life of relaxation. Ia manuia le aso Samoa...

No comments:

Post a Comment