Monday 5 June 2023

A busy week & Happy King's birthday (1st time)...

 

Last week, was a very busy week with Samoan language week and my mum's 84th birthday which is incidentally on the same day as the 61st Anniversary since Samoa's independence.

Today, is the first time that we get to celebrate or relax to the King's birthday weekend since the passing of the Queen last year. 

It's good to be able to catch up on some sleep and also caught up with my two brother cousins that I grew up with, with one visiting from Brisbane and his brother living close by. We swapped stories growing up and how our children - and their grandchildren have grown.

Last week, I also got to go on an Pasifika ECE (Early Childhood Education) dinner and Fiefia (Tongan) dance with the Team leader of our Samoan bilingual ECE centre and my middle child who works part time as an assistant administrator.

It was so funny as after the many speeches and formalities it was time to dance and so I joined some other ladies with my middle child and I ended up spending most of the night on the dance floor dancing within a circle with lots of other educators enjoying the night.

The funny thing was that I actually had an ulterior motive of trying to make up my 10K daily steps and as a result was also able to top 12K steps that night. Little did anyone know as I'd keep checking my phone to see where I was up to when the music got too slow.

Yesterday, I went to our evening Samoan service and a good friend and colleague had her first time as a Lay preacher preaching in the Samoan service (see pic above). It was something that my late father enjoyed doing and at some time it's something I'm considering but with my studies at this time I'll park it for this particular time.

Our church still has the women wearing hats but a lot of the NZ born younger generation opt not to wear hats but as my parents did, I do so too. As you can see me sporting my conservative black stoic hat and traditional Samoan pea or puletasi i.e. wrap around long skirt and matching top. Here we are sharing a laugh because church is not always supposed to be so serious and here we are sharing a laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment