Friday 9 June 2023

Traditional Samoan tatau book to soon be released...

 

I'm so relieved in almost finishing to draw up the last couple of pics for a book launch in Samoa next month. The book has been a long time in the making in having started writing it up back in 2016 when I was on a family holiday in Melbourne.

It's also the first book launch of a picture book since 2019 with  the COVID-19 pandemic. Since then, I've almost finished my doctorate degree (hopefully by October) and this picture book is the first of a measina (cultural treasures) series of Samoa.

The topic of this first book has to do with the tatau or Samoan traditional tattooing. It is an important book and I wanted to get it right as there is a lot of information out there but not a lot for children (and their parents or families) to read about together.

It's quite exciting because for a time, I wasn't really sure how I would come about with the pics but with a little faith can come mighty miracles and with this particular pic it was one that reminded me of the interconnectedness of aiga or families with tatau. I also enjoy the fact that often within families there are a lot of conversations that take place regarding this cultural practice and one which will be continuing in discussions for many generations to come.

The book itself is a very personal discussion in that it reminds me of how my ancestors had this process as a way of telling our stories through our iconic symbols that were then tattooed onto willing participants through a process which some name as 'blood letting' in exchange for ink.

The significance of having the book launch in Samoa is that it was there that the story first takes place on the island of Savai'i in Falealupo where some of my matriarchal ancestors hail from. I am so blessed that I can soon share this story of how the tatau came to Samoa (although it is already known in many parts)...


No comments:

Post a Comment