Friday 21 July 2023

Beautiful song "Te Arohanui" by Stan Walker...


 It was so sad and scary yesterday to learn of a gunman who shot and killed two people on a building site and injured around 10 others. I had been picking up my online shopping from a local supermarket when I heard on the radio news that people should not go into the CBD Central business district as there was something serious happening there.

It wasn't until I went to my morning eye appointment that I found out from the optometrist that three people were dead (later learning including the gunman). With many injured as a result of the confrontation.

This evening, in my class, we took a moment of silence in paying our respects to those who had passed away, those who were injured and those who have been traumatized by these events. It's even more pressing as the Women's FIFA (football) world cup is being hosted by NZ and there are a lot of teams being hosted in the inner city hotels. 

But there is now a significant police presence as there is a belief that it was a lone gunman with a personal agenda moreso that acting on political or other beliefs. Still it does leave one apprehensive of going into the city as I had already arranged for my class to visit the CBD tomorrow in visiting the Maritime Museum.

Which brings me to this beautiful waiata (Maori word for song) that I heard yesterday by my favourite gifted male singer, Stan Walker. It's called "Te Arohanui" the great love (or deep affection). I've had on repeat since last night. It's a beautiful song about love and that's what we need to remember in times like these. 

It reminds me that despite the evil that lurks around every corner, that there are beautiful people out there who would help in times of trouble like the heroes who ran into danger to protect and keep the peace for others.

That's in remembering the frontline workers like the police, ambulance staff and some innocent bystanders who would give their lives without even second guessing in order to save the lives of many. Now that's something to celebrate but to pray and hope that there is never a need to have to do it. Here's a song that reminds me of the good in others and the hope that we can have in each other...

No comments:

Post a Comment