Saturday 8 July 2023

Memorial wall at the Return to Paradise Resort...

So blessed to be back in Samoa again for a quick break during the school holidays with my mum, my youngest and Aunt. Yesterday, we attended my Aunty's Memorial wall blessing at the Return to Paradise Resort in Lefaga. 

We left early and had breakfast there and then I had to drive back back with my Aunt to pick some fresh flowers to make quick leis for the VIP guests. We drove back with 7 purple and creme leis.

The memorial wall blessing was at 5pm in the evening and I had the privilege of gifting one of the leis to the current Samoan Prime Minister, Fiame Naomi Mataafa as she sat in the front of the Chapel. Her late mother was from the village of Lefaga where the Resort was built and her mother was also a former politician that I had met as a student in Auckland.

It was interesting to note that the former Prime Minister, Tuila'epe Sa'ilele Malielegaoi, also attended the Memorial wall blessing which had the names of my late paternal grandmother and grandfather, my late father and two of his siblings who had also passed away.

It was both a beautiful service with some sadness at the same time of missing those who had passed on but who had all left a legacy for their children and grandchildren to continue in. The theme of the day was "standing on the shoulders of giants" in acknowledging those who had paved the way for the resort to now be fully functioning and built.

I wrote a poem about the resort when I was last there in April 2023 and am looking to publish it along with a collection of short stories and poetry in the not too distant future. Needless to say that visiting Samoa again brings back a lot of special memories with my late father, grandma and those who have gone before...


No comments:

Post a Comment