Sunday 16 July 2023

Lali (traditional drum) in Samoa...

 

Yesterday, I went with my youngest to the Apia wharf to pick up our fumigated goods to be taken on the plane back to Auckland (not looking forward to the cold there).

Afterwards, we decided to go back to the markets, in Apia, to check out some drums that my youngest had spotted the last time that we had visited the markets.

She's been taking lessons at her school in learning how to play the Cook Island drums. This is amazing, for me, as I grew up in a church community with Cook Island drumming and it's a beat that I'm familiar with and enjoy in having been a part of a Cook Island dance troupe many years ago.

So we had a look and I saw that it was a lali or traditional Samoan drum that she was interested in. The Cook Island ones that they use in dance music are much larger and are propped up on stilt-like legs.

The craft seller remembered me from an earlier purchase and gave me a bargain price that I couldn't turn down. So we purchased it and my youngest is very happy drumming out her beats. Sad thing is that we won't be able to take this on the plane as it missed the fumigation window time period.

This trip has been such an encouraging experience that reinforces the studies on measina a Samoa that I've almost completed and reminds me that there is still much to do. Already, we're looking forward to our end of the year trip in returning back to Samoa, with more family for much celebrations...

No comments:

Post a Comment