Tuesday 11 July 2023

"Maui & Sina" play featured in NZATE 2022 read list...

 

Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that one of my plays was featured in last year's 2022 NZATE New Zealand Association for the Teaching English recommended book lists.

It's the play called "Maui and Sina" which was one of the first plays that I wrote back in 1994 but didn't publish it until 2015.

It's such a blessing because I wrote it for the local high school that I was working at the time and it was the first major theatre production that they put on. It had so many rave reviews (that I wrote two more for subsequent years).

The other neat thing was that it was picked for Year 10 cohort as an Extended Written Text. I had been a high school English teacher for 6 years before changing my job. I remember always looking for texts for teenagers to read that related to them and to see one of my books accepted into the list is a real privilege and honour (as a former English teacher).

Then to have it featured alongside one of my favourite writers as a teenager, S.E. Hinton and her book "The Outsiders" which was later turned into a movie and William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" is a neat feeling as a self-published author...

No comments:

Post a Comment