Monday 21 August 2023

Measina Samoan traditional taupou costume...

A big thank you to my sis/cousin Aunei Lita who's amazing creative friend was able to fully dress my eldest for a taualuga (final formal Samoan traditional dance) at a family graduation party yesterday.

The traditionally inspired taupou (princess) costume is made up of several parts which was very amazing for me to witness from the tuiga or headdress, palefuiono or headband, the ula nifo or necklace of teeth (more symbolic), siapo (tapa cloth) on chest, two Ie Toga or special fine mats, coconut bangle and shell anklets on her ankles.

Her dance was, for me, the definite highlight of the evening and especially as a New Zealand born Samoan young woman. She had expressed that she wanted to learn the traditional Samoan dance and was able to dance on behalf of my family for our Po siva (or night of dance) earlier in the year.

What has been particularly interesting for me in my doctoral studies, has been the amazing opportunity of watching measina in action for diaspora Samoans like myself and my children. In living away from the homeland but still with the ability to be interested and learn about our fa'aSamoa.

In seeing the interest of my children, quite apart from my own interest, I am so glad that my parents were able to share their love of Samoa with my children. In having a second home in Samoa has been a blessing so that they can always call Samoa home...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment