Sunday 27 September 2020

Happy 18th Birthday to our eldest...

 

A BIG Happy 18th Birthday to our eldest who is now a legal bonafide adult as of yesterday when we, as a family, took time out to celebrate together.

We gave our historical celebratory dinner out a miss with the risk of catching any local COVID19 community transmissions and instead had dinner together at my parents, her grandparents' home.

One of the special presents that I wanted to make for her was a quilt that had some 20 square panels that took me until 3am to complete (although I had started sewing the panels together earlier).

It's similar to the idea of a Cook Islands 'tivaevae' where a large bedspread is given away on a special occasion (having been worked on by a group of women) but for me it's without the embroidery and other women helping but machine sewn instead which is a lot faster and able to complete in record time.

It's a pattern that I developed in my 20s when I made some baby quilts to give away and I also made a single bedspread of me (and I still have it in storage). My mum also made me one using the same pattern and I still have it today and am able to show my children.

I've already started the next one for our middle child and had some leftover material for special occasions clothing such as my wedding dress (white satin), the COVID masks that I've recently made, as well as the materials that I've had in storage.

The birthday gift was much appreciated and is now a bedspread used with its many colours and offset by the lovely indigo blues colour that ties it all together (can't help that arty side of me). And now looking forward to Christmas which is only some three months away... 




No comments:

Post a Comment