Wednesday 30 September 2020

New release for Stan Walker - "Bigger"...


 One of my all-time fave NZ male song artists is Stan Walker. Yesterday, I shared his newly released (July 2020) waiata (song) with my class on our weekly Zoom. What's neat about it is that there is an English version (which I'm sharing today) and also a Maori version both of which I shared with my class.

I also like the fact that he draws inspiration for his songs from his indigenous Maori roots and even his music video includes his whanau (family), his Marae (communal meeting house) and includes his pepeha (cultural connection to tribal affiliations including physical features i.e. mountains, waterways, tribe etc.)

I'm encouraged by singer/songwriters such as Stan Walker who are proud of their cultural roots and include them for next generations to also learn from. I remember hearing him recently on a Maori radio station (i.e. MaiFM 88.6) answering the question from the host as to whether he claimed to be an Australian or a New Zealander as both nations claimed him.

He staunchly replied that he was Maori which was both a statement and a joke and he had he host and I laughing because that would have been my answer to the host as well. I like the fact that we as Pacific people and Maori people have that sense of humour to answer important questions in such a way that we can laugh about it but still answer the important question/s.

In this video, he shares his pepeha and the includes the Marae that he belongs to with the next generation of children both highly symbolic but also a reality in that if we don't share these important places of connection or our turangawaewae (place of standing - as a homely sense of belonging) with our children then they won't be able to share it with theirs.

Good on ya mate! both as an Australian, New Zealander, and especially as Maori. In being an inspiration for the next generational indigenous peoples. I hope upcoming rangatahi (youth) will take a cue from you to always be proud of their cultural connections, their faith, their families and the fact that we should connect to our places of belonging and look after them as kaitiaki (guardians)...


No comments:

Post a Comment