Saturday 15 July 2023

Beach side drives in Samoa...


 One of the favourite things about Samoa that I share with my youngest is going out on long drives along the coast line of Upolu on Beach Road. With the azure ocean at my shoulder, the cool breeze blowing through my hair and palm trees waving as we glide slowly past. Absolutely relaxing.

My youngest took this video as we drove up to Falelatai and back from where my late Papa built his first house for his beloved mother. The island in the distance is the island of Manono which I'm hoping to visit soon.

We went to visit our family in Si'ufaga, in the Falelatai district, and went to visit my grandma Kika's grave there. It brought back so many memories of my first trip there in 1972 as a lil' child and the neat memories of exploring Samoa with my parents.

We were able to pick some frangipani plants and U'a (mulberry plants for making tapa cloth). My mother and I are keen gardens, back in the day, and I'm trying to revive that again with our family home in Fasito'o-uta. 

As both my parents were keen gardeners when they returned to retire in Samoa and we have so many vegetables, fruit and cultivated plants as a result of their fore site. There are a couple more plants that I'm looking to plant and that's the Teuila and the 'crab fingers' plant (not sure of the botanical name).

Only a few more days and we'll be back in cold, cold NZ. No wonder so many elder Samoans did not enjoy the cold winters of NZ when there are such beautiful cool breezes at this time of year in Samoa. Just enjoying it until it's time to fly back to our NZ home...



No comments:

Post a Comment