Monday 24 July 2023

Earrings from Samoa...

Almost forgot to post up a pic of the earrings that I managed to buy at the Apia markets in Samoa. As many of my earrings had been borrowed by one of my daughters, I thought it was high time that I replenished my collection.

Again, buying my favourite design which looks like a flower but is actually the footprints of a bird. So you can see the variety of beautifully handcrafted earrings that I was able to pick up.

It was also interesting to see how in one pair of earrings, paua shell or sometimes known as abalone shell had been incorporated into the design. Now paua isn't native to Samoa but it appeals to me as they are plentiful in NZ and more of a SamoaNZ design for first generation NZ born Samoans like me.

I also like how they've been able to incorporate the wood with various varnishes and painted designs. There were some shell earrings with a red nut called lopa which I think is native to Samoa (although not sure if those particular shells are). The brown round earrings are also a nut.

So there you have it, a small collection of earrings made in Samoa and sold in the markets with so many other designs that you'll just might have to add to your collection or buy for a loved one on your next trip to Samoa. The prices are reasonable and there is also room to bargain but for now these ones will suffice until my next trip to Samoa which will be at the end of the year, Lord willing...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment