Sunday 26 May 2024

Samoan Language week 2024...

 

Today marks the start of o le vaiaso o le fa'atāuaina o le Gagana Samoa or Samoan language week for the year 2024. 

The theme for the week is "Tautua i le alofa, manuia le lumana'i" which means to serve in love for a blessed future.

These weeks are special in schools, Early childhood centres, and even in public spaces celebrate this week with all sorts of activities.

Over the years, I've attended different events all over Auckland and this year, I've been so busy with so much to do that I've had a break from having readings at different schools or Author talks.

It was also good to hear about it at church today in it being shared. As this was the first year that it was announced including the theme both in English and Samoan.

There are so many measina (special cultural treasures) to celebrate. Incidentally, the topic of my thesis but that's another story. Suffice to say that Samoa is often quoted as being the "Pear of the Pacific" and with all the measina associated with fa'aSamoa, I'm not surprised.

Enjoy your week as my family will be flying to Melbourne midweek to visit my younger brother and his family and to celebrate a significant birthday of our matriarch, my mum and grandmother/great grandma in our family. 

I'll also take some time to fly out to visit my brother's family in Sydney before returning to back to Melbourne all the while still taking the time to study too. Never a dull moment and forever busy with so much to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment