| Photo by Iriyahz Filisi (c) 2026 |
One of the things that I've been pleasantly encouraged by is the creativity that I believe was passed down through generations on my maternal side.
Starting with my namesake, great-grandmother Eleni Tuilimu nee: Spitzenburg, to her son (my granddad), who was a jewellery maker, then to my mum, who was an amazing creative, i.e. could sew, knit, crochet, weave, make handicrafts, and amazing cook.
Then passed down to me with my interest in the arts and fine art, handicrafts and creative writing. Then to my children, with the elder two taking art into their senior high school years and now the youngest taking photography in senior high school.
This is a poster that was created by our youngest in her photography class, bringing together her interest in Samoan culture and a wordsmith too. She displayed the depiction of one of the weapons that Nafanua (an historical Samoan warrior woman) was believed to have used in a historical battle that she was, as I retold the story of in one of my books...
No comments:
Post a Comment