Friday, 28 August 2026

Kelly-like hand sewn bag...

 

This is the finished product from my attempt to hand-sew a 'Kelly'-like bag. The kit was from a company called 'Babylon Leather' that's based in Portland, Oregon, USA.

I had no idea about how popular 'Kelly' and 'Birkin' bags were until I came across social media posts by Love Luxury based in London and Dubai.

I'm definitely not a connoisseur of fashion, but I like the idea of a French company called 'Hermès' fashioning practical but iconic bags in the 1980s that were named after Grace Kelly (after she popularised it by being photographed with it) and Jane Birkin, a British/French actress who gave the owner the original idea on a plane flight.

You might have read in earlier blogs that I love handcrafting just like my mum and namesake great-grandmother. I've made handmade bags before, but this takes it to a whole new level.

The kit comes packed with all the pieces, equipment, and thread you need for sewing the bag together. In fact, it even comes with a 'dust bag', free gifts of two small scarves (to tie onto the bag) and a long strap for crossbody or carrying it as a shoulder bag.

I enjoyed making it so much that I've ordered another kit in a different colour and a medium bag. The bag pictured is a small bag similar to a small Kelly. It also comes with a lock and key which is a first for me to see. I'll be blogging on the next one and looking forward to the kit arriving at my front door very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment