For me, it's water or vai in gagane (language) Samoan or wai in te reo (the language) Māori. I've always felt drawn to water, and perhaps that has to do with my Samoan heritage and DNA.
I remember learning to swim with my favourite strokes being back stroke, breast stroke and side stroke. I must confess that my freestyle isn't so great by my beloved's is.
All my children have been to swimming classes and in my 20s and 30, I enjoyed participating in Dragonboat and especially Outrigging or Waka ama, which is a type of canoe with an ama or outrigger. However, nowadays I'm enjoying my 5 - 7 km walks close to water, and this pic is of a beach that I walk around. I find water calming and soothing when it's still.
It helps me to relax and to enjoy the soft lapping on sunny days near the beach. In fact, I got married to my beloved on a beach in Fiji, i.e. Sonaisali Island, and upon the loss of my late dad, when all of the funeral arrangements were completed, I was able to cry my heart out near water, which I found healing.
In Samoa, it's been a blessing to have been able to build on my late father's communal village of Fasito'o-uta, a house that is next to the open ocean with a view of the island of Savai'i from our outside porch. I've also participated in 'pure' or cleansing ceremonies with past classes when teaching/learning about 'tikanga' or Māori tradition and protocols. Water holds a special place in my heart...
No comments:
Post a Comment