Tuesday, 11 August 2026

He Ara Rangahau - The path/ways of Indigenous Research...

 

This was an article that was written a couple of months ago after I graduated with my PhD from Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi. It summarised the journey that I had taken (which was a very long in decades) to complete my studies.

I think that in taking my time, learning from my communities and not compromising and walking away from some academic environments, I was able to write a thesis while being immersed outside of academia

I was able to authentically write in such a way that it was recognised by the markers and the committee who awarded me with a first equal top thesis prize for the year. I must say that when I first read the report from an eminent Māori academic who supported my thesis going to examination, I simply cried.

It has been my nemesis for so many years, so it was a sigh of relief and a sign that it was meant to be and that the eminent academic understood why I wrote it that way. My pathway to completing my PhD had to go through the fire and through an indigenous lens as a diaspora Samoan woman matai (chief), and there was no other way to write it.

I'm considering now publishing it (not all the research speak for the academy) but more the personal stories, as it was hard fought and I think it can help to inspire other would-be academics or even just the lay person who's interested to consider their own personal stories as being worthy of sharing. 

Again, I thank God and my parents; my mum always believed in me from the start and my late dad, who planted the seed and dream within me to even consider the 'doctor/ate' path, although he meant a medical doctor, but as a creative, I was able to put my own spin on it...


No comments:

Post a Comment