I've been really enjoying the space of working with Babylon leather and stitching this Kelly-styled bag from a kit.
As a creative practitioner, I find myself looking towards my next project, whether it's a painting, a sketch, or crocheting a scarf, visiting a museum or viewing an exhibition; the creative possibilities are endless.
This is currently my favourite thing to do, as it reminds me of the skills that my mother taught me of hand stitching or hand sewing with a creative project in mind.
I know that it harkens back to the creative DNA that was passed down from my matriarchal ancestral line, with my great-grandmothers from Samoa, weaving mats and making tapa cloth whilst learning the skills and tools entailed.
Passed down to me through my mother and now to my daughters, with my youngest announcing that she was the first in her photography class to complete her photography board ready for examining at the end of the year.
This gave me great satisfaction in knowing that the creative gene has been passed down to all three of my children, each having completed senior years with art or photography and creativity as a part of their educational learning journey.
Now looking forward to making a Berkin-styled bag as my next project with a different colour and size. What's so neat is that I don't have to think about cutting out the pattern or priming the resources because that's already done.
All I need to do is follow the video instructions and try to keep in sync with the sewing of it, then relax and enjoy the creation. But that's another journey and I'll post on the finished product of that too when the time comes...
No comments:
Post a Comment