Thursday 13 October 2016

Introducing "A Midsummer Night's Dream with a taste of Polensia" book launch today...

Am so happy to be finally allowing this play to see the light of day some 20 years after it was written in 1996. As an English teacher, I really wanted to push myself as a writer (at the time) to see what I could do with re-writing a Shakespearean play into a Pasifika/Polynesian setting hence the "Polensia" which is my take on the word Polynesia as I knew it growing up.

Having studied Shakespearean plays since high school through to University, I was surprised when I, myself became a teacher and was told at the time that it was too difficult to teach to at the South Auckland school to pupils who wouldn't be able to understand it.

Yes, maybe the old English language or the way it was taught, although when my senior classes watched the videos, the actions spoke louder than words and they were able to understand but I also thought that it was a lot of nonsense because I got a teach about issues and ideas of the play which often discussed universal themes about the battle between good and evil (for tragedies) and the roles of different societies etc.

So here we are like a mother having given birth (metaphorically to a play) but then waiting 20 years until I was finally ready (plus technologically and with opportunities) to reveal the play to a global audience.

If you do get a chance to read it, please send me a review on my contact details as I'm considering to re-write 2 more plays (I'd thought about "Macbeth" and "Romeo and Juliet") but am open to other plays and this book may be in the Auckland libraries (with the other 6 books) by the end of the year... and with more to come, Lord willing ...


No comments:

Post a Comment