Sunday 23 October 2016

Pentatonix - "Hallelujah"...

My lil' sister Maria first introduced me to the music of the Pentatonix years ago when she was still in high school and have come to love their Capella music using their best vocal instruments. What's so neat was watching them starting out as a group of friends come together, a few years ago, and now they are an international music sensation.

This is yet another neat rendition of a cover that I've liked even before "Shrek" (the movie) brought it out of obscurity. It's amazing to listen and to think that there are no musical instruments used to layer the song. My all time favourite probably is still their "Daft Punk Medley".

Have always loved music from my Samoan upbringing with the music that encouraged me to learn to play guitar and ukelele (still love drums too), and singing in church choir in learning to harmonize (on the third - alto). Also learnt to play the piano (classical music) and studied classical music in high school and also to read music but unfortunately didn't carry it on.

Also listened to a lot of the radio music that was current in the late 1970s through to the 1990s, especially the disco music and music of the 1980s which surprises my daughters when they share some of their music with me and I'm singing along and I have to explain that it's a newer version. Ha ha - some music is just timeless.

So I really appreciate musical talent that is a little different and also music that you can dance too. Yes, I used to enjoy dancing growing up. Just thought I was a little ahead of my time as a teenager as there weren't a lot of opportunities for youth who were interested in the arts: music, art, writing in addition to culture but now it's all out there! yeah!...

No comments:

Post a Comment