Saturday 1 October 2016

My names: Faalavaau, Helen, Faamotu, Tauau, Filisi...

I've been asked about what my names represent so thought to discuss the origins of my names and explain how important history and legacy is in researching a person's history.

Faalavaau: is a chiefly matai title from Siufaga, Falelatai, that my dad asked me to consider, from his adopted mother's family, after I had turned down a couple of other titles that he had asked of me earlier.

At the time I was single and working and didn't understand the significance of chiefly titles and didn't think that I would be interested in it. After my dad recovered after being very sick, I decided to take the title in respect of the loving relationship that I have with him.

In later marrying my beloved, who is Samoan born, and raising a family, I now realise the importance of such a legacy. I also learned that the title "Faalavaau" was also a title of the late Faalavaau Galu, who was an MP from the village in the first three Parliaments of the new Independent Samoa from 1962 to the early 1970s where upon he died. He was highly respected and now I also carry the title.

My name Helen was chosen for me after my half German Great-Grandmother, on my mother's side, called Eleni. Eleni's father was Charles Louis Spitzenburg from Germany and her mother was Melea Solia from Falealupo in Savaii. They were all buried in Faleula on our family land and we now have at least 7 generations in Faleula.

My family name Tau'au: (which I deliberately added a glottal stop to for pronunciation) is from my father's side and is a chiefly title from Fasitoo, where my parents are currently residing. Tau'au was my dad's adopted father's title and my dad greatly admired and esteemed him until his death. He was given the name as a family name by his adopted parents.

Filisi: is my husband's family name. Tofilau Fritz is my beloved and we'll be celebrating our 15 years of marriage in November with 3 natural children and 2 adopted into the family sharing the Filisi family name. I also have a middle name and have written a couple of poems in my latest self-published poetry collection about the legacy of names that I was born into ...

No comments:

Post a Comment