Thursday 22 February 2018

Ancestry DNA Kit...

I've finally done it and ordered my own 'ancestryDNA' kit online for around NZ$125. It took about a week to ship from USA and came well packaged in a box with: Instructions, activation code, saliva tube, collection bag, response paid book to Ireland.

For some it is quite controversial as to what happens to the saliva samples afterwards i.e. whether destroyed or stored and who 'owns' the samples after the tests have been run.

These are questions that I've had to consider and after attending an 'ancestry' seminar last year with my class, it gave me the confidence to go ahead with some questions that I want answered regarding my own genealogy i.e. in checking what I already know with what might show up in the results.

These are some of the questions, considerations and issues that we discussed last year in the Cert. in Indigenous Research. Something that each person has to consider individually regarding what information they will access and which ones they won't in regards to their own individual cultural principles and values.

Looking forward to seeing what this brings about...

No comments:

Post a Comment