Friday 23 February 2018

Moana merchandising ...

This week when I went to my local Warehouse, I came upon these 'Moana' dolls and was quite surprised to see a big display that hadn't been there for quite some time.

In an earlier blog (circa 25 Nov 2016) I wrote about how fortuitous it was for my family to be in Fiji celebrating our 15th Wedding anniversary (as we'd been married at Sonaisali island resort on 24 Nov 2001) and as my birthday was the following day, we got to see movie before it came out in New Zealand.

However, upon our return, I expected to see a lot of merchandising for Moana but to my surprise I only saw the 'Frozen' Disney merchandise still be sold long after the movie's peak. Even when I went to Melbourne looking for some 'Moana' merchandise for our lil' one, there wasn't anything available except for the usual Disney princesses and the Disney movie franchise dolls.

So it's been interesting to observe this with Manukau having the largest numbers of Polynesian peopled city in the world with very little in the way of Pacific dolls being toted for children. Now, however, a couple of years later, I start seeing some in shop windows. Maybe the demand has out-stripped the non/availability and an acceptance of brown dolls being just as beautiful (if not more) ha ha ha...

No comments:

Post a Comment